In Key Stage 1 and 2 children follow the Read Write Inc. phonics and spelling programs.
Read Write Inc.
Read Write Inc. Phonics is a complete literacy programme, for 3 to 8 year-olds learning to read and write. Although reading is taught using synthetic phonics, the programme is so much more than that. It covers all of the new National Curriculum requirements for language and literacy.
In Nursery, children learn the first 30 sounds in short daily sessions.
In Reception all children:
- Read storybooks and non-fiction books closely matched to their developing phonic knowledge
- Take home Phonics storybooks to share
- Read with fluency and expression
- Learn to spell using known sounds
- Write confidently by practising what they want to write out loud first
- Work well with a partner.
By the end of Year 2 all children are accurate and speedy readers.
Read Write Inc. Spelling gets every child spelling effortlessly. It is a stand-alone programme for children in Years 2 to Years 6.
Read Write Inc. Spelling:
- Teaches spelling in short, snappy 15 minute sessions
- Engages children - new concepts are introduced by aliens on an exciting online spelling planet
- Records progress through pupil Log Books
- Includes practice tests to build confidence prior to statutory assessment
Other Reading Schemes
The school also uses the Project X reading scheme (OUP) and the oxford reading tree scheme.
The following spelling word lists come directly from the new curriculum spelling appendixes and are in addition to weekly spellings.